The Laboratory of Photonics and Quantum Measurements (LPQM) at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) is looking for a
R&D Engineer with expertise in integrated photonics and electronics for technology transfer project
If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that has technological impact, and have an ambition to become involved in a future startup, that can shape future technology, the LPQM could be your fit. Integrated photonics has over the past decade seen major growth and is already impacting modern technologies in the form of transceivers for data-center interconnect. At EPFL we have been part of the next generation of developments, and have pioneered (published and patented) ultra-low loss nonlinear integrated photonics, notably chip scale frequency combs, which have applications ranging from massively parallel coherent communication for datacenters, to ultra-fast coherent LiDAR for autonomous driving.
Within the framework of a funded tech transfer project, we are looking for an R&D engineer/scientist with industrial and/or academic experience to work on the industrialization of a novel photonic integrated technology for use in the domain of telecommunication and ultrafast LiDAR, with the aim of launching a spin-off.
The candidate’s role will be to participate in the development of the laboratory demonstrator from the current stage of research prototype to a demonstrator that can be manufactured via foundry, and for use in applications. The candidate will be responsible for integrated photonics design, packaging and the engineering of custom electronic, optical and mechanical solutions for the system together with an internal team and external contractors, as well as participate in the in-house and field-testing of the final product with potential customers.
Located in Lausanne, EPFL has a campus-like environment situated on the shores of Lakes Geneva and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence. The LPQM hosts a unique infrastructure, with a multi-million CHF investments in the in-house laboratory-based testing, and in-house silicon photonics foundry.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Development of custom electronic and optical subsystem
- Experience in silicon photonics design, packaging
- Participate in the mechanical design of the product and development of fiber-chip packaging solutions
- Participate in the photonic chip design and testing
- Development of the system control software
- Reporting and documentation of the system development progress
For this position, we are looking for solution-oriented candidates who match some of the parts below:
- MSc in electrical engineering or physics
- Industrial experience is an asset
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: III-V semiconductor lasers and optoelectronics, silicon photonics design, integrated electronics, RF engineering, optical/electrical packaging, system design, or MEMS.
- Familiarity with key software, including CAD software, Python and MATLAB, SiP design tools
- Working experience on similar projects bringing the basic research technologies towards the market as well as system integration/ telecom technologies/LiDAR - is a plus
- Experience in proposal writing is an asset
- Work on next generation integrated photonics technology for LiDAR, industrial metrology or data center interconnects
- Possibility to become a founding member of a future spin-off
- Remarkably well-equipped laboratory, including full in house electronic and optical testing, and in-house integrated silicon photonics foundry
- Opportunity to join a team led by a PI with track record of successful startup launching
- A young, dynamic, flexible and highly motivated R&D environment
- Substantial R&D funds for prototype development
- Position in Switzerland – an ideal place for high tech startups
We give preference to the candidates ability, over area of specialization.
Activity rate: 100%
Duration: 1 year, renewable contract
Place of work: EPFL, Lausanne
Start date: immediately or to be defined
We look forward to receiving your application with a statement of interest, curriculum vitae, a copy of transcripts (BA and MA) and copies of certificates (one single PDF file only).